Built in 1917 and renovated in 1992, the Turner Building, formerly the Bona Allen Building, is an historic, nine-story office building at the corner of Spring Street and Ted Turner Drive in downtown Atlanta. The building was constructed by industrialist Bona Allen, who made his fortune through his leather manufacturing plant and tannery in Buford, GA. Located at 133 Luckie Street, the building provides superb access to nearby attractions including CNN Center, Centennial Olympic Park, the Georgia Aquarium and Phillips Arena.
Formerly home to the Atlanta Police Department and Visiting Nurses Corporation, the building now houses Turner Enterprises, Inc., Captain Planet Foundation, Turner Foundation, Ted Turner Reserves, Ted’s Montana Grill’s corporate offices, and a Ted’s Montana Grill restaurant on its ground floor.
In 2011, Turner Enterprises, Inc. completed construction of a 25-canopy solar array in the parking lot adjacent to the Turner Building (the first of its kind in Downtown Atlanta). The array provides an estimated 20% of the Turner Building’s total annual energy needs. It saves an estimated $50,000 annually in power expenses and allows the building to avoid releasing an estimated 164 metric tons of CO₂ into the environment annually (this amount is equal to 18,418 gallons of gasoline or 380 barrels of oil).
The Turner Building is a proud participant of the Atlanta Better Buildings Challenge, an initiative that was first launched in 2011 by the U.S. Department of Energy. The Turner Building, which has received Top Performer recognition among Challenge participants multiple times over the years, experienced its best year yet in 2016, achieving 35% energy and 20% water savings.